|Lesson Seven: Defense Against Anti-Vehicle Bombs
Lesson Seven provides a comprehensive overview of explosive threats directed against vehicles and the methods and technologies for effectively mitigating these risks.
Types of Vehicle Attacks Installed Contact Charges Limpet Mine Attacks Proximity Bomb Attacks Projected Charges Countermeasures for IEDs Installed on Vehicles Vehicle Alarms Home/Garage Security Travel Security Vehicle Search Procedures Defense Against In-Transit Threats Types of Countermeasures Protective Counterintelligence Terrorist Planning Methodology Information Security Countersurveillance Intelligence Analysis Route Planning Route Alternation Route Sweeping Defense In-Transit Standoff Distance Vehicle Speed Threat Adaptations Spotters Limpet Mine Response Vehicle Armoring Types of Armored Vehicles Blast Protection Treatments Selecting an Armoring Company
Lesson Seven requires approximately 1.5 hours to complete.
Lesson Seven will provide the student with an understanding of the following topics:
Methods of explosive attack directed against stationary or moving vehicles.
Vehicle access control and physical security.
Methods for searching vehicles for concealed explosive devices.
Terrorist planning and preparation methodology.
Protective counterintelligence (including countersurveillance).
Route planning and advance route inspection.
Procedures for avoiding and identifying explosive threats while traveling in vehicles.
Vehicle armoring systems.
Students completing Lesson Seven should be capable of the following tasks:
1. Identify potential explosive-related threats to protectees traveling in vehicles.
2. Implement physical security measures to prevent the installation of an explosive device on a vehicle.
3. Safely search a vehicle for concealed explosive devices.
4. Recognize and respond to indicators of a potential terrorist target surveillance.
5. Plan travel routes to minimize risk to vehicles in transit.
6. Identify and investigate indicators of a planned roadside bomb attack immediately prior to a motorcades travel.
7. Identify and respond to a potential terrorist limpet mine attack.
8. Evaluate requirements and sources for blast-protected armored vehicles.
Exercises and Quizzes
Lesson Seven contains an interactive exercise to reinforce the importance of using high speed motorcade travel to impair terrorists manually detonating roadside bombs.
Students completing Lesson Seven should immediately take the interactive review quiz to test their understanding and retention of the lessons content. If the student correctly answers fewer than eight out of ten questions, he/she should repeat the lesson before continuing with the program.
Questions 31-35 of the comprehensive test are directly extracted from Lesson Seven.
Return to Lesson Outlines Page